Monday, June 4, 2012

Mango and Black Bean Salad

I went to the grocery store yesterday not knowing exactly what salad I wanted to make, but knowing it would have three key ingredients: peppery arugula, crisp-tender asparagus, and fresh figs or Medjool dates. My grocery store, however, had other plans—none of those ingredients were in stock. (The produce section is decimated on Sunday afternoons.) But I noticed ripe avocados and mangoes, two things that are hard to find out here, so I decided to take my salad in a different direction.



Mango and Black Bean Salad

1 mango, peeled and diced
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 avocado, diced
olive oil
lime juice
chili powder
cumin
salt
mixed greens

Mix the first four ingredients together. Add a dash of olive oil, a much larger dash of lime juice, then chili powder, cumin, and salt to taste. (I used a lot of chili powder, slightly less cumin, and still less salt.) Serve on top mixed greens. Makes about 4 servings.

1 comment: