Monday, May 28, 2012

All Week Pasta Salad

Younger daughter here with my first post! I haven't been carrying my weight in the salad-making department, but today I made an extremely weighty salad, hoping to make up for some lost time: this veggie-laden pasta salad, so big I had to stir it in my largest pot because it didn't fit in any mixing bowls. (The photo here shows the salad after a few portions were put in lunch containers.)

The weather here on the east coast is hot and muggy, making it perfect salad weather, so I figured I'd make an enormous salad for my roommate and me (and a few friends) to eat for dinner tonight--and to eat for lunch all week. It's just a pound of pasta and whatever veggies caught my eye, and I plan to add things throughout the week to change it up: soy chicken or tofu, more beans, other veggies. It can also work with any dressing, though I've made a big bottle of Rolf's Mother's Chinese Dressing to use, now that my mom's post reminded me how much I like it!

Here's a list of what's in this iteration of the salad, though it's good with whatever vegetables are fresh and on hand:

  • a pound of whole wheat elbow macaroni
  • a pound of fresh broccoli, cut into small florets and tossed in with the pasta when it was almost done cooking
  • ten ounces of frozen peas, tossed in with the pasta and broccoli
  • a bag of carrots, peeled and shredded
  • two large zucchini, shredded
  • two cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • a bunch of radishes, sliced thin
  • eight ribs of celery, chopped

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so good! Maybe because I just used some leftover pasta to make Dad's lunch for tomorrow -- planned-over broccoli, edamame, carrots, corn, snap peas, red pepper and, of course, Rolf's Mother's salad dressing. Great minds must think alike. :)

    ReplyDelete